Uric acid is the body waste product formed by the metabolism of purine-rich food, which is then processed through kidneys and excreted out in the urine. In medical terms, a high uric acid level condition is called hyperuricemia—the elevated level of uric acid results in severe health complications. In this article, you will find different ways to manage uric acid in the range.
Signs Of Hyperuricemia
- Make your blood and urine too acidic
- Accumulation of uric acid crystals cause gout
- Stones further progress into more kidney problems
- Form lumps beneath the skin which becomes tender during gout attacks
- Other indications are fever, chills, and tachycardia
Ways To Manage Uric Acid In The Range
These are the precautionary measures you will find here to narrow down your uric acid range.
1. Switch To Food That Can Be Enjoyed As A Low-purine Diet
- Fruits: apples, bananas, oranges, melons, berries
- Vegetables: broccoli, potatoes, carrots, garlic, zucchini
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, pistachios, cashew
- Seeds: chia seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds
- Legumes: beans, peas, lentils
- Low-fat dairy products
- Health beverages like water, tea, and coffee
- Herbs and spices like turmeric, ginger, oregano, basil, black pepper
Following are some key purine-rich foods to avoid or consume in moderation
- Red meat includes lamb, beef, and pork
- Seafood to limit are tuna, scallops, toadfish
- Limit the consumption of cauliflower, mushrooms, dried beans, etc.
- Refined carbohydrates pata, cookies, white bread
- High-fat foods like dairy products, bacon
2. Keep Your Body Hydrated
Enough fluid intake is always beneficial for health to flush out the toxins. The study suggests that drink enough lemon juice brings down the uric acid level because the citric acid of lemon does the trick by dissolving the uric acid and thus improves its excretion.
3. Restrict More Alcoholic Beverages
Research says not all alcoholic beverages are high in purines content. Be conscious while choosing an alcoholic drink like wine, beer containing a decent amount of purines which may put your health at risk. The question is how alcohol impacts the uric acid level.
High alcohol consumption makes your body more dehydrated. It does not make the kidney filter out essential waste like uric acid or others. An already known elevated uric acid level is the precursor of gout (pain and inflammation of joints).
4. Cut Back On Sugary Meals Or Beverages
Eating too much sugar contributes to many health problems. Unfortunately, to limit the uric acid range, whether you choose natural sugar or processed, both bring up your uric acid level. Therefore, one should avid healthy fruits, fructose corn syrup, table sugar, soda, packed fruit juices.
All fruits are nutritious, and you should incorporate them in moderate amounts. Secondly, packed fruit juices contain a rich amount of fructose and glucose. The faster absorption of refined sugars spikes up your blood glucose level, which is the potential cause of high uric acid or other health severity.
5. Eat Cherries Or Drink Cherry Juice
If you don’t like cherries, take its concentrated tart to prevent hyperuricemia. But don’t sweeten up since adverse to its beneficial effects. Cherries have proven effective due to their potential anthocyanin compound, which neutralizes the uric acid before causing a serious problem. Research suggests that consumption of antigout drug allopurinol and cherries shows considerable results.
6. Increase Your Fiber Intake
Fiber-rich food keeps your digestive system healthy. It balances your blood sugar and insulin level. It improves your satiety, decreasing the chances of overeating. Both reasons directly impact your uric acid level, and dietary fiber absorbs the excess uric acid from your blood. Fruits with skin, sprouts, beans, jawar, bajra are great choices to keep your digestive system moving.
7. Drink More Coffee
Coffee is the most widely used morning beverage in the world. Whether you go for regular or decaffeinated coffee, both have uric acid lowering effects. Remember to consume a moderate amount to get its positive impact.
Importantly, it helps while suffering from gout attacks, so coffee may help reduce your chances of having flare-ups. Prepare your coffee with few tablespoons of low-fat milk and skips the sugar; otherwise, get the adverse effects on your uric acid level.
8. Manage Your Weight
A healthy body weight keeps you physically and mentally fit. Overweight is directly associated with raise uric acid levels as fat cells produce more uric acid than muscle cells. Also, extra pounds make it harder for our kidneys to eliminate uric acid. Therefore, one should concentrate on a diet pattern or consult a nutritionist. Otherside, rapid weight loss also increases the uric acid level. Therefore, people should focus on a diet pattern, workout plans for a long-term sustainable weight balance.
9. Look Over Your Medications
Some medications may elevate your uric acid level. Therefore, always consult your doctor before administration.
- Diuretics like furosemide, hydrochlorthiazide
- Immunosuppressant after organ transplant
- Chemotherapeutic drugs
Below medicines help you to decrease uric acid levels.
- Take medications that help in the alkalization of urine, like potassium bicarbonate or citrate. It raises the ph of urine, which helps dissolve the stones and prevent new stone formation.
- Drugs that block uric acid production like allopurinol and febuxostat
- Medications that promote uric acid excretion like probenecid, lesinurad