Popular than ever before, diet cleanses or what you may also refer to as detoxification are nothing but diet changes that claim to remove harmful toxins from your body. Thus, one might be confused about whether a diet cleanse helps in losing weight.
Waiting up for scientific studies, there is no real evidence of toxin removal or weight loss from this diet. But yes, if we use our logic, we can simply observe that using this diet in our daily routine will remove excess carbs and unhealthy food from our daily intake. Hence, there will be some effect on weight loss and also on the health of our body.
What Are These Actually?
These are generally short term. A typical detox diet includes a period of fasting, followed by a strict diet of fruits, vegetables, fruit juices, and water. Sometimes, it may also include herbs, teas, supplements, or enemas.
Weighing Pros And Cons: Whether A Diet Cleanse Helps In Losing Weight
They claim to work for your obesity, digestive issues, autoimmune diseases, inflammation, allergies, bloating, and chronic fatigue (no proven data). It is also said that you might regain weight very quickly once you restore your daily eating habits. Since it has very few side effects, it is worth a try.
Some people report feeling focused and energetic during and after detox diets. However, these results may be simply due to eliminating processed foods, alcohol, and other unhealthy substances from your diet. You may also get vitamins and minerals that lacked before.
What Is Included In A Diet Cleanse?
- Fasting for 2-3 days
- Drinking fresh fruit and vegetable juices, smoothies, water, and tea (try unsweetened)
- Drinking only specific liquids, such as salted water or lemon juice
- Eliminating foods high in carbs, oils, and sugar
- Taking supplements or herbs
- Exercising regularly
- Completely eliminating alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, and refined sugar
Different Types Of Detox
There are several ways to continue this diet. Depending on your preference, you can go for either one.
- Juice Cleanses
- The Master Cleanse
- Ultimate Reset
- 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse
Some Homemade Detox Drinks
You can detox yourself either by buying different detox kits from the market or making up your own at home. Some of these are given below.
- Lemonade Detox (Master Cleanse) – In this, you only drink lemonade (sweetened if desired) for 7 whole days and nothing else. Add freshly squeezed lemons to water. Then add sugar and salt according to taste.
- Apple Cinnamon Detox Water – Add thinly sliced apples and a cinnamon stick to water. Keep it for 4 hours and it’s ready to drink.
- Watermelon And Strawberry Mint Detox Water – Add 1/2 inch slices of watermelon and small pieces of strawberry in water. You can also add crushed mint to elevate its taste.
- Cucumber Water – Take cucumber, cleaned and peeled (or unpeeled), and cut into 1/2 inch slices. Add it to the water.
You can add anything to your water from a range of lemons, oranges, blueberries, cucumbers, mints, apples, cinnamon, grapefruit, strawberries, peach, and ginger.
How To Use This Detox?
You need to prepare your body for detoxing and not use it right away. One week before detoxing, start preparing your body step by step. Firstly, remove processed food, sugars, and meat from the diet. Start cutting back on all types of solid food. Include raw vegetables and fruit. Then slowly cut back on them and start with vegetables soups and juices and voila! You are now ready to start detox. When you are done with 7 days of detox, repeat the same process in the inverse order to continue your regular diet.
In A Nutshell
Weight loss cleanse is an extreme dietary approach that promises rapid weight loss through a very restrictive eating pattern. However, there is little evidence to support its use. In addition, it is often nutritionally incomplete and might be dangerous for certain people, especially without planning or medical supervision.
A better, safer, and more effective weight loss solution would be implementing a balanced, healthy eating behavior that can be utilized long term. But since this process involves removing all the toxins from the body, if you can complete it, you should try this detox and I’m pretty sure you will feel a change in your body.