Exotic fruits are non-native, foreign, or imported and unknown to consumers in a particular region. Some are furry; some have bright white flesh. The term “exotic fruits” refers mainly to some tropical fruits that are unknown to the consumers of the developed countries. This article focuses on three delicious and healthy Indian exotic fruits packed with numerous health benefits to the body.
Exotic fruits are found in Southeast Asia but also often at Asian food stores here in the States. Exotic fruits are grown globally, such as Sugar apple, Custard apple, Jakfruit, Longan, Lychee, Star apple, Starfruits, Carambola, Breadfruit, Cherimoya, Custard apple, Durian, Guava, Mangosteen, Rambutan, Sapodilla, Soursop, etc.
Health Benefits Of Exotic Fruits
- Exotic Fruits are a rich source of vitamin C, also called ascorbic acid, and play many vital roles in the body.
- These fruits are excellent sources of minerals, such as potassium, manganese, copper, and magnesium, to make strong bones.
- Exotic fruits have a vast amount of fiber and protein present.
- Some fruits reduce the risk of cancer.
- They are loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants prevent/slow damage to cells caused by free radicals, unstable molecules that the body produces, and environmental and other pressures.
- They help to maintain blood pressure in the body and make the heart-healthy.
- Exotic fruits encompass rich phytochemicals like carotenoids, polyphenolic compounds, vitamins, essential minerals, and fatty acids.
Healthy Indian Exotic Fruits
1. Jangali Jalebi (Pithecellobium dulce)
The fruit looks like Indian sweet desert Jalebi, the spiraling green-pink pods of jungle jalebi. It contains about 6-10 shining black seeds enveloped in a thick, sweet, edible pulp. In India, exotic fruits are found in West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Maharashtra, Karnataka, and Andhra Pradesh.
Health Benefits Of Jangali Jalebi
- This fruit is anti-diabetic. It helps maintain the sugar level in your body.
- The fruits are rich in vitamin E.
- These fruits are excellent sources of vitamins B1, B2, and B3; these vitamins help decrease cholesterol levels.
- It has more amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and iron content that keep the bones healthy.
2. Dragon Fruit (Hylocereus undatus)
Dragon fruit grows on a climbing cactus called Hylocereus, which you will find in tropical regions worldwide. This fruit comes in red and yellow-skinned varieties. It also has good potential to be processed into many products, thus adding value. These processed products include energy and fruit bars, preserves, juices, pastries, pulp, yogurt, ice cream, jelly, and marmalade.
Health Benefits Of Dragon Fruit
- It is rich in antioxidants like phenolic acid, flavonoids, and beta cyanine. These natural substances protect your cells from free radicals damage molecules that can lead to cancer and premature aging.
- It is naturally fat-free and rich in fiber and protein.
- It contains prebiotics that feeds the healthy bacteria called probiotics in your gut.
- Dragon fruit is high in vitamin C and other antioxidants, which are healthy for your immune system.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
- It helps in proper digestion.
3. Carambola (Star Fruit)
This green-colored fruit with slight yellow color is sour in taste. It is a healthy choice for making pickles. This fruit is grown throughout India, especially Southern parts. This fruit is packed with nutritious values that benefit our body, keeping it healthy and fit.
Health Benefits Of Carambola
- Carambola is rich in dietary fiber, which helps treat digestive issues like constipation.
- This fruit is packed with powerful antioxidants like vitamin C. It is immunity-boosting fruit and one of the healthy foods consumed for flu or cough.
- High levels of vitamin B, folate, riboflavin influence the body’s metabolic process to ensure proper circulation and cognitive abilities.
- Carambola has low calories and is a healthy option for the weight loss process.
- It is a hydrating food, and eating carambola helps maintain the body’s hydration level.
Read Also: 11 Health Benefits Of Eating Fruits Daily