Drinking smoothies have gained a lot of importance for the last few years. This thick and creamy beverage is made from a variety of raw fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, which has attracted a considerable population for treating many medical conditions like diabetes, cancer, hypertension, etc. Smoothies are primarily known for their nutrient content, ease of consumption, convenience, to detoxify the body, and weight loss.
People are now drinking their calories instead of eating them. Yes, WHO recommends 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day, but is it healthy to blend them? However, they make your skin glow, reduce your sugar level, and taste amazing, too. So why drinking smoothies often isn’t the right choice?
So here I present a detailed article on this popular trend. Some of the trending smoothies in the market are protein smoothie, green smoothie, weight loss smoothie, high fiber smoothie, and many more. However, it is imperative to understand the pros and cons of any food before joining any diet revolution.
The Benefits Of Drinking Smoothies
- No wonder they increase your fruit and vegetable consumption. We can add many different colorful and seasonal fruits and veggies in the smoothie for the phytonutrients and antioxidants. Unlike the packed juices, they provide us with high amounts of fiber and pulp.
- As discussed earlier, they are super convenient. You can carry it on your way to work. The preparation of this magic drink is less time-consuming. Therefore the working population can find ease here.
- Other food groups like nuts and seeds, which are highly recommended for micronutrients and which we find difficult to consume normally, blends well with the smoothie.
- People with dental issues and bedridden patients, finding it difficult to meet calorie requirements, can be given a smoothie option. Adding foods like nuts, flax seeds, melon seeds, almond or soy milk, chia seeds, etc. will increase the calorie. Sounds yummy?
- An excellent way to keep you hydrated is by including smoothies. The base of any smoothie requires either water or milk. Hence, it can be consumed to improve your fluid intake and prevent dehydration.
The Disadvantages Of Drinking Smoothies
- One should always keep in mind that a smoothie should never be used as a meal replacer; they fill your tummy only for less time. It does not satisfy our appetite in short.
- Chewing whole foods give us satiety and a feeling of fullness. The initial digestion process may not begin if we drink our smoothie. High fiber and satiety foods like whole fruits, green leafy vegetables, sprouts, beans, pulses can be consumed instead.
- Many smoothies unknowingly come with a baggage of calories. By drinking smoothies we gulp down these calories. For example: to blend a fruit smoothie, we require at least 2-3 amounts of fruits so as to fill the glass. Instead, if we choose just a single whole fruit, it will give less calories, more nutrients, and fiber, which eventually absorbs more sugar and calories. Something to think about?
- Anything excess is always dangerous. Same is the case here. You still have to look for portion control. By adding variety of ingredients one can make a slurping smoothie but they should also limit their temptation.
- The first thing that comes in our mind after hearing the word ‘smoothie’ is weight loss. This is the biggest myth ever currently circulating amongst people. NO! No single smoothie can help you lose healthy weight. A proper balanced diet, with all nutrients is going to help you look fit and healthier.
- The smoothies generally lack macronutrients like proteins, fats and carbohydrates hence not recommended as a balanced meal.
FAD diet promises rapid weight loss but also at the same time guarantees regain of weight. What’s the use of such a diet then? People are struggling to meet the macro requirements and unable to sustain it for a long time. Smoothie diet should not turn into a habit, NO definitely not. Let your drink be a snack and not a meal; instead of meeting the nutritional needs, you will lose a lot of essential nutrients.
Always remember the order from lowest to highest:
Packed juice < Smoothie < Whole fruit